This is a small list of my favorite Mac Apps for 2013. These are my personal favorites based on usage and features, by no means are these the best in class as voted by users or something. Some may be best in class but thats not what this post is about. These are the Apps that get the job done and make life easier for me.
leave a comment below and tell me what your favorite Mac Apps are and why.
1. Little Snitch from Objective development by far the best Network monitoring app for any mac user, it lets you monitor and control all your applications access to the internet, for anybody that likes to try new apps and test them out, this utility will let you know when it tries to access the internet and allow you to stop or allow its access. You can even stop the Mac System from accessing the net, or certain features like software update or itunes etc.
2. Transmit from Panic is my favorite FTP application, I use it mainly for uploading content for various websites, some might say it’s not as good as other similar apps but I have been using this app for a while and the features and simplicity of the app is why I am listing it here, you have total control when accessing web servers and also the ability to edit CHMOD settings to change the access to file system objects on web servers, handy if you are having website setup issues. Click here to download the demo version.
3. The Unarchiver is the Swiss Army Knife of archive utilities, The Unarchiver lets you unzip just about any format of compressed file that exists in the world. Forget the mostly useless archive utility that ships with Mac OS and upgrade for free to this, Click here to download.
4. VLC from VideoLan is probably the best video player for Mac, If you want to play videos on your Mac you need VLC full stop. This is the best all round video player for Mac and one of the first apps I install onto a new machine if I am setting it up for someone else, secondly I select a few file types and re-assign them to open by default with VLC, this can be done with the get info on any video file, and select VLC under “open with” and then press the button under that called “change all”. Once this is done all files of that type will open with VLC, forget quicktime and all the problems it has, VLC is the champion of the Mac video play battle. Click here to download.
5. Unclutter Your instant digital pocket for storing stuff like notes, links and files, saving your Desktop from cluttering, I like to keep my desktop clean and tidy and this app is perfect for dropping all the stuff I need or want to keep in 1 place, it also gives you instant access to sticky notes and heaps of other nifty features which make a daily use utility for me. Available from the Mac App Store for $2 which is a small price to pay for such a useful App. Click here to buy.